8 oz. farmers fromage
2 oz. plain yogurt
2 oz. shredded sharp cheese (I use Wake Robin’s Opus cheese)
1 small shallot, chopped
2 tablespoons local honey
½ cup whole milk (I include the cream from the top)
1 medium sweet potato
4 – 5 medium white potatoes
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, combine farmers fromage, yogurt, egg, shallot, honey, and half the shredded sharp cheese. Set cheese mixture aside.
3. Peel the potatoes, then slice very evenly and very thin.
4. Grease a deep cast iron skillet or baking dish.
5. Cover the bottom and sides of the baking pay with an even layer of potato slices.
6. Spread a quarter cup of the white cheese mixture evenly over the potatoes.
7. Repeat potato layers and cheese mixture alternatingly until both are gone.
8. Bake for one hour, or until fork tender.
9. Remove from the oven and spread the remaining shredded sharp cheese evenly over the top; return to oven until melted and just browning, about 3 minutes.
10. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Wake Robin Farm’s Farmers Fromage is so tangy and sweet I melt it on grilled sandwiches and use it as a base for sauces and dressings. Pair it with chive and dates, sun dried tomatoes and herbs, and honey and yogurt; sweet or savory, no problem, it’s all under control.